The Russian authorities did everything to compromise the elections. Any one of these points suffices to declare these elections illegitimate, writes blogger “Vakha Bit”.
1. The President, Governors, and regional parliaments campaigned openly in support of the party of power, using their administrative resources to the full.
2. There was an enormous disproportion of airtime in media, especially television, alloted to the party of power and the opposition; rigorous censorship; discrimination of opposition parties.
3. Control over the counting of votes was usurped by one single party.
4. The opposition’s Marches of Dissent were suppressed in St Petersburg, Moscow, Rostov, Nazran, and many other cities using excessive force.
5. The arrival of foreign election observers was thwarted; observers from other parties except one face severe difficulties.
6. Soldiers were brought in to oversee the elections in Moscow and large cities; control over the situation rests with the FSB.
7. The purpose and content of the elections were changed.
8. There are numerous reports of vote rigging; absentee votes were used massively to rig the results in several regions.
9. Prior to the elections, posters were printed to celebrate the election of President Vladimir Putin as Russia’s national leader.